- "It is my duty to film the finest fucking monsters ever committed to the screen. And the greatest fucking robots ever committed to screen. That’s a pledge... Giant fucking monsters against giant fucking robots... incredibly huge things destroy little things."
- —Guillermo del Toro, Comic-Con 2011
The San Diego Comic-Con International 2011 and 2012 were multimedia conventions that played host to upcoming comic book and major motion picture and television announcements.
The 2011 San Diego Comic-Con began Thursday, July 21 and ended July 24. The 2012 San Diego Comic-Con began Thursday, July 12, 2012 in San Diego, California and ended July 15, 2012. Among the films and comic books announced at both yearly conventions, a teaser preview of Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim (formerly Still Seas) was previewed for major audiences in San Diego.
San Diego Comic-Con 2011
Before shooting even began, news of the film first reached the mainstream at the 2011 Comic-Con, where Guillermo del Toro and Travis Beacham had a small panel with cast Idris Elba, Charlie Hunnam and Charlie Day.
Little to nothing on the film was revealed beyond a title treatment and the symbol of what would be late recognized as the emblem for the Pan Pacific Defense Corps. del Toro discussed some detail of the film's story, primarily how humanity would react to being attacked by a massive monsters destroying cities and homes.
He also promised to commit to film the "the finest fucking monsters and robots" the audience would see. He later praised Legendary pictures for their contribution to the film and making it possible to film.
San Diego Comic-Con 2012
During the 2012 San Diego Comic-Con, Pacific Rim and its cast and crew recieved a massive panel in Hall H on the same day as The Hobbit, Man of Steel, and Iron Man 3. Production stills, concept art, and some rough footage was revealed to attendees, who also got to partake in a Question and Answer segment with del Toro, Charlie Hunnam, Charlie Day, Ron Perlman and Rinko Kikuchi.
Footage of Pacific Rim was specifically edited for the convention's panel. The footage was shown to a packed house in Hall H, and only to them. It's not available anywhere else, so those who weren't in attendance had to wait for the debut trailer.
- "The footage began with an old man and a kid walking over an icy tundra with a metal detector. As they walk the machine begins to beep faster and faster and the old man picks a toy robot out of the snow. But that’s not the only metal in the area. The old man slowly raises the detector into the air and a look of intense fear strikes across his face. In the distance a giant robot appears, with only one arm, and begins to stumble. It falls to its knees and then crashes with a huge boom into the snow face-first.
A title card saying “Summer 2013” appears on screen and we see a huge Kaiju rises out of the ocean and completely decimate a bridge as jets fly in to try and attack (they aren’t super effective). We then see our first look at the cast, including Charlie Hunnam, Rinko Kikuchi, and Idris Elba, who line up and get in their suits, ready to pilot their Jaegars. Kikuchi and Hunnam are shown inside of their mech piloting in unison, throwing punches that sync with the robots moving.
There are shots of Charlie Day walking into a very elaborate building, and Ron Perlman staring into the sky while wearing red sunglasses. A Jaeger and a Kaiju fight in the middle of the ocean. We hear Elba giving an inspirational speech to a group of pilots, motivating them to get ready for a big fight. It ends with him declaring, “Today we are cancelling the apocalypse,” as we see one of the Jaegars level a huge blow on a monster."
- —Comic-Con 2012 Trailer description by CinemaBlend.com
- Cinema Blend - Pacific Rim Comic Con 2012 Live Blog
- MovieLine - Pacific Rim: The Characters and Robotic 'Engineering Feats' of Guillermo Del Toro's Monster Sci-Fi Pic
- EW - 'Pacific Rim' Comic-Con panel: Giant robots! Giant monsters! Giant monster 'American Idol'!
- Spinoff Online - CCI: Guillermo Del Toro Debuts First Footage From Pacific Rim