Jacob "Jake" Pentecost[note 1][note 2] is the son of Stacker Pentecost and the brother of Mako Mori. A former officer in the Pan Pacific Defense Corps, he is conscripted back into the organization in 2035 to avoid being sent to prison, to co-pilot Gipsy Avenger with Nate Lambert.
Jake Pentecost is born from the relationship shared between his father, Stacker Pentecost, and his mother, Stacker's "first love." Stacker presumably raises Jake alongside his adopted daughter, Mako Mori, a survivor of the May 2016 Kaiju attack in Tokyo, Japan.
Stacker's relationship with Jake is a strained one, with Stacker focusing all of his attention and care on Mako. Because Stacker places all of his "hope and attention" on Mako and not him, Jake and Stacker's relationship falls apart. They fall out of touch, Jake estranging himself from his surviving family.
Pan Pacific Defense Corps.
At an undetermined time, Jake joins the restructured Pan Pacific Defense Corps to become a Jaeger pilot. During that time, he meets Nate Lambert, another aspiring pilot. However, burdened with the expectations to honor his father's legacy, Jake chooses to abandon the organization and his friend.
Pacific Rim: Uprising
In 2035, Jake turns to a life of crime as a black market dealer. He makes a profit off of the parts of the original Jaegers that remain in destroyed areas of the Pacific Rim where the poor eke out their lives. During his self-exile, he lives in a mansion that was cut in half in a Kaiju attack.
At some point, he meets Amara Namani, a young woman looking for parts for her self-built "Jaeger." Their actions eventually lead them to arrest and a face-to-face with Mako Mori, who presents Jake and Amara with the choice of going to prison or cooperating with the Pan Pacific Defense Corps to train with their cadets to become Jaeger pilots and honor their father's legacy. At the same time, Jake faces Nate Lambert, with whom he must pilot Gipsy Avenger.
- ↑ Screenshot from a February 2017 post that has since been deleted
- ↑ John Boyega: "I am playing Jacob Pentecost, who is kind of like the prodigal son of Stacker Pentecost," Boyega said. "Now he's faced with rejoining the PPDC [Pan Pacific Defense Corps] and trying to help the fight against the Kaiju again. But it's gonna be in a different way this time."
- ↑ Pacific Rim: Uprising star John Boyega on Jaeger 'upgrades' and 'different way' to fighting Kaiju
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Pacific Rim Uprising photos offer first look at John Boyega preparing to stomp monsters
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Everything We Learned About Pacific Rim Uprising at New York Comic Con (Updated)