John Boyega is an English television, theatre, and film actor. He is best known for his role in the 2011 science fiction film, Attack the Block and the 2015 film, Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens as Finn. He portrays the yet-to-be-named son of Stacker Pentecost in the 2018 sequel to Pacific Rim.
Boyega trained at the Identity School of Acting in Hackney, and appeared in Six Parties at the National Theatre and Category B at the Tricycle Theatre prior to being offered a role in the 2011 film Attack the Block. In September 2011, HBO announced that Boyega had been cast in the boxing drama pilot Da Brick, loosely based on Mike Tyson's life.
Boyega was expected to play Donnie, who is released from a juvenile detention centre on his 18th birthday and begins to examine what it means to be a man. The pilot was written by John Ridley, but was not picked up by HBO. Also in 2011, he acted in the film Junkhearts in which he portrayed a drug dealer who finds some guns and tries to sell them.
Boyega was chosen by Fionnuala Halligan of Screen International as one of the "UK Stars of Tomorrow 2011" and appeared alongside two other actors on the front cover of that magazine in its July 2011 edition.
On 29 April 2014, it was confirmed that Boyega had been cast as a lead character in Star Wars: The Force Awakens. It was later revealed Boyega would play Finn, a stormtrooper for the First Order, who leaves the military power after witnessing their cruelty in his first combat mission before joining the fight against them.
The film was released on 18 December 2015. Both the film and Boyega's performance received acclaim from both audiences and critics. In June 2016, Boyega announced that he would be starring in Kathryn Bigelow's upcoming project about the 1967 Detroit riots.
In January 2016, Boyega formed his own production company, Upperroom Entertainment Limited. In June 2016, Boyega announced that his company would be co-producing the sequel to Pacific Rim alongside Legendary Entertainment.[note 1] Boyega will also play the lead role in the project.
- Boyega has stated in an interview that he is a fan of Marvel Comics, and that he had hoped to play the Marvel character Black Panther.
- ↑ @JohnBoyega: self & @MrFemiOguns, will co-produce #PacificRim2 alongside @Legendary
- ↑ Hall of Fame
- ↑ Attack the Block feature item
- ↑ Attack the Block's John Boyega on Going 'From Hoodie to Hero,' and Taking Hollywood by Storm
- ↑ John Boyega to star in Mike Tyson, Spike Lee HBO pilot 'Da Brick' – US TV News
- ↑ 'Da Brick': HBO passes on Mike Tyson boxing drama – US TV News
- ↑ Stars of Tomorrow 2011
- ↑ Attack the Block star John Boyega joins Half of a Yellow Sun
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VII Cast Announced
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens review – 'a spectacular homecoming'
- ↑ Review: JJ Abrams breathes new life into 'Star Wars' with 'The Force Awakens'
- ↑ @JohnBoyega
- ↑ ‘Star Wars’ John Boyega Takes Lead In ‘Pacific Rim’ Sequel
- ↑ Get to know 'Star Wars' star John Boyega