Keanu Reeves and Stephen Hamel had hired Spaihts to write the film after originally becoming attached to Spaihts' now abandoned science fiction script Shadow 19. After Reeves agreed to produce with Hamel and star in Passengers,
Spaihts was commissioned by Scott Free to write the next installments in the Alien saga, two prequel films to be directed by Ridley Scott, which eventually turned into the more autonomous story Prometheus, ultimately revised by Damon Lindelof. For New Regency Spaihts also wrote the screenplay to the alien invasion thriller The Darkest Hour, based on a story by Leslie Bohem and M.T. Ahern.
Spaihts has worked on a film version of St. George and the Dragon for Sony Pictures, and originated a Disney film project called Children of Mars. In 2012 he entered a two-picture deal at Jerry Bruckheimer Films} to adapt Ashley Wood's graphic novel World War Robot and write a space adventure film based on his own original pitch. Spaihts was also commissioned to write the reboot of The Mummy franchise for Universal Pictures to be produced by Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci and Sean Daniel.
In 2013 Spaihts began work on the story for the Black Hole remake by Walt Disney Studios. In 2014 he was hired by Marvel Studios to revise the script for the live action Doctor Strange film. The rights to his early science-fiction screenplay Passengers had originally been sold to the Weinstein Company, with Keanu Reeves and Reese Witherspoon set to star and Game of Thrones director Brian Kirk at the helm. The project is currently greenlit by Sony Pictures to be produced by Original Film and Company Films, directed by Morten Tyldum, and starring Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt.
- ↑ Leonard F (ed.). 2007. 2007 Black List, s.v. "Passengers by Jon Spaihts". 5. Cf. Halbfinger DM. 2007. "Tomorrow’s Oscar Hopefuls Today". The New York Times (2007-12-08).
- ↑ Fleming M. 2009. "Alien prequel takes off". Variety (2009-07-30).
- ↑ Sciretta P. 2007. "The Hottest Unproduced Screenplays of 2007". Slashfilm (2007-12-09).
- ↑ Aspin, M. 2012. "Read The Original Alien-Style Prometheus Script".. What Culture (2012-11-13).
- ↑ Siegel T. 2010. "Hirsch signs on for The Darkest Hour". Variety (2010-04-10).
- ↑ Screenwriter Jon Spaihts Talks Prometheus, World War Robot, Children of Mars, George and the Dragon, and More | archive link
- ↑ Jerry Bruckheimer to Produce Space Adventure Film | archive link
- ↑ Prometheus Co-Writer Jon Spaihts to Reboot The Mummy Franchise
- ↑ Universal Signs Kurtzman and Orci; Pair Takes On The Mummy and Van Helsing
- ↑ The Black Hole Remake Lands Prometheus Writer
- ↑ Marvel Setting Jon Spaihts To Script ‘Doctor Strange’
- ↑ Cannes: Weinstein Co. Picks Up Reeves-Witherspoon Space Romance Passengers
- ↑ Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence Sci-Fi Romance "Passengers" Greenlit at Sony Pictures