Mackenyu Arata (新田 真剣佑 Arata Makken'yū?, born Mackenyu Maeda (前田 真剣佑 Maeda Makken'yū?)) is a Japanese-American actor born in Los Angeles and is the son of Japanese actor, producer, director and martial artist Sonny Chiba. He portrays Ryoichi Hatayama in Steven S. DeKnight's Pacific Rim: Uprising.
Since 2005, Mackenyu has starred in film and television, such as Buzz (So-On: The Five Oyaji), and the television movie Yo nimo Kimyō na Monogatari. In 2015, he worked in supporting roles for the miniseries, The Kindergarten Detective, Yume o Ataeru, and The Hatsumori Bemars.
His popularity in Japan increased following his appearances in the film for Kamen Rider Drive, Kamen Rider Drive: Surprise Future, and the miniseries prequel, Kamen Rider Drive: Movie Roadshow Commemoration! 1 Minute Stories, as Eiji Tomari.
His first US-productions were the 2015 films Take a Chance, and Tadaima, the latter of which he a best actor award. In January 2016, he made his stage debut in the Japanese musical Boys Over Flowers: The Musical and starred in the two part feature film Chihayafuru, released back-to-back in March and April 2016. That same year he starred in Shōjo (Little Girl).
- ↑ 真剣佑が改名、事務所移籍を発表 ＜本人コメントあり＞
- ↑ J.J. Jr. MacKenyu - Biographical Summaries of Notable People - MyHeritage
- ↑ A Sonny Chiba interview: Acting, martial arts and family - Meniscus Magazine
- ↑ [Mackenyu Putra Sonny Chiba Akan Bermain Sebagai Kamen Rider Dark Drive - Itokumag.com
- ↑ Hirose Suzu Stars in "Chihayafuru" Live Action Movie - Japanese Entertainment News