|Breach Date||January 1, 2025|
|Height||295 ft (89.9m)|
Mutavore has a hooked, sharp curve above on its plated and bony structure around its head and curving down from its chin in a crescent shape. Near the top of Mutavore's bladed crest is its mouth. Mutavore has three eyes on both sides of its head.
In addition, the creature exhibits a bipedal structure containing two large arms ending in large claws, and two very small, almost insect-like appendages on its chest. Similar to its bladed head, Mutavore has huge, axe-shaped structures protruding from its back.
A day after the Australian Jaeger, Striker Eureka, is decommissioned from active service, Mutavore emerges from the breach and heads towards Sydney. Mutavore manages to break through the city's Anti-Kaiju Wall within one hour of reaching it. It enters the city and proceeds to attack.
Mutavore’s rampage is short-lived, however. Striker Eureka is immediately deployed against it. Piloted by Rangers Hercules and Chuck Hansen, Striker aggressively engages Mutavore. After delivering an alternating right and left uppercut which sends Mutavore reeling, Striker grabs the Kaiju and slams it backwards into a building. Mutavore attempts to grapple with Striker, grabbing onto Striker's arms, but the Jaeger quickly wrests its right arm free and delivers a right hook that knocks Mutavore clear away.
It finishes off Mutavore with a barrage of missiles from its chest-mounted launcher that slam stoutly into the beast’s head and neck. With pained screams, Mutavore drops dead, its fallen carcass damaging a building and crushing empty parked vehicles on a street.
Mutavore's breach of the Wall starkly demonstrates how futile the Anti-Kaiju Wall was as a defense against Kaiju attacks. A week later, the incident causes protests and riots in cities all around the Pacific Rim against the ending of the Jaeger Program.
Mutavore's body is later dissected for study. Part of its brain is used in an experiment by K-Science officer, Newton Geiszler, who proves his theory of the possibility of a Drift with a Kaiju using what remains of its brain.
Pacific Rim Novelization
Upon approaching the city, Mutavore's path is hindered by Echo Saber and Vulcan Specter, whose mission is to stop the Kaiju. Mutavore easily dispatches the Jaegers. It tears the torso of Echo Saber and beats Vulcan Specter "into scrap".
- According to Travis Beacham ,"Bladehead" was a working name for Mutavore during the earliest stages of the Kaiju character concepts.[note 1]
- Mutavore is also known as "Sydney" in the Jaeger Combat Simulator
- Travis Beacham states that Mutavore never destroyed two Jaegers before breaching the wall.
- According to the novelization of Pacific Rim, Mutavore is classified as a Category III Kaiju.[note 2]
- According to the novel, Mutavore's attack takes place January 1, 2025, a day before Raleigh arrives at the Hong Kong Shatterdome on January 2, 2025.
- Striker Eureka's combat dossier states that Mutavore's attack takes place December 27, 2024.The memo on the Shatterdome facility status also uses this date.
- The ticket reader during a news report of Mutavore's attack in Sydney reports that the Anti-Kaiju Wall could withstand an attack from a category IV Kaiju.
- The Kaiju brain in the K-Science Lab Newton Geiszler used for the Drift belongs to Mutavore.
- Mutavore's tail is split vertically about halfway through,and, according to the video game, can be used like a pair of scissors.
- Mutavore bares resemblance to the creatures in Expedition which was written by Wayne Douglas Barlowe, who worked as a Kaiju designer in Pacific Rim.
- Mutavore's Initial design was used for Hardship
- ↑ Travis Beacham: "[...]Mutavore. Cat-3, I think. The design was dubbed "bladehead" before it was decided which designs would be which kaiju."
- ↑ ""Less than an hour ago, a Category III Kaiju breached the Sydney barrier." In the middle of the sentence, shaky cell-phone footage of the event replaced the image of the reporter. A scrolling feed along bottom of the screen identified the Kaiju as Mutavore." Pacific Rim: The Official Movie Novelization, page 48
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Pacific Rim: The Official Movie Novelization
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Pacific Rim
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 See: Mutavore Talk page
- ↑ As heard in Pacific Rim
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 Pacific Rim: The Mobile Game: Kaiju Intel Card: Mutavore
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 @TravisBeacham
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Travis Beacham: The Kaiju Brain
- ↑ Given name in Pacific Rim: Man, Machines & Monsters
- ↑ Pacific Rim - Jaeger Combat Simulator - Mission 1
- ↑ Travis Beacham: Mutavore
- ↑ Combat Dossier: Striker Eureka
- ↑ Sydney Attack