|Pentecost: I need more than a prediction, Ranger.|
|Pacific Rim sequel contains material that's yet to be released or pending release. As such, some of the information might be inaccurate or likely to change. Please remember to add citations of information provided in the article before editing this page. Fan speculation will be deleted.|
|Pacific Rim sequel|
|Director||Guillermo del Toro|
|Writer||Guillermo del Toro|
|Release date||April 7, 2017|
|Previous film||Pacific Rim|
Pacific Rim 2 is an upcoming sequel to the 2013 science-fiction film, Pacific Rim directed by Guillermo del Toro. Presently in pre-production, Pacific Rim 2 is slated to be released April 7, 2017 and will be written by Guillermo del Toro, Zak Penn and Travis Beacham.
- To be Added
May 20, 2013, Entertainment Weekly announced that the Pacific Rim was set for a sequel prior to the film's release July 12, 2013. Legendary Pictures has announced that the studio hired Travis Beacham to write the script for the sequel.
- "After the first screening, Legendary Entertainment CEO Thomas Tull immediately told del Toro to start writing a follow-up. “He said, ‘Do you think you can come up with a great idea?’ ” del Toro remembers. “I said, ‘F—, yeah!’! Because on the way to the finished screenplay, there were entire angles and ideas that we chopped off because they were too much.”"
- —Thomas Tull
Director Guillermo del Toro would also help write the sequel, but it had yet to be determined if he would direct the sequel. Travis Beacham stated that he was given the go-head to write a sequel "a while ago" but had received no word that the production would be greenlit.
In an interview with ShockTillYouDrop.com, Thomas Tull confirmed that del Toro and Legendary Pictures were still open to the idea of developing a sequel for Pacific Rim.
During the promotion of The Strain at the Austin Television Festival, del Toro announced that screenwriter Zak Penn (X Men: The Last Stand and Incredible Hulk) was working with him to develop the script for the sequel. At the time of the announcement, Travis Beacham was involved with the FOX television series, Hieroglyph, which was later cancelled before its premiere in the fall.
June 26, 2014, Guillermo del Toror announced on Legendary's YouTube channel that, Pacific Rim 2 was planned for a April 2017 release. In conjunction with writing the script with Zak Penn, he added that Travis Beacham would return as a writer. As a means to promote the pending film, an animated series and additional comic book similar to that of Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero were also greenlit for production.[note 1]
In an official statement with BuzzFeed.com, del Toro stated, "The characters I love will return. Raleigh, Mako, Newt, Gottlieb and who knows, maybe even Hannibal Chau – but we are taking them into a fresh territory that will display amazing sights and battles. The first film set the stage and now we’re ready to have a blast."
Following his announcement on YouTube, Legendary Pictures announced the film's release date on their official twitter and tumblr pages for both their company and Pacific Rim. Actor Burn Gorman followed suit, retweeting the news from the Hollywood Reporter with the response, "by Jove".
In an interview with the Wall Street Journal, when asked about when production would officially begin for the sequel, del Toro stated that design production for the film would start in August of 2014.[note 2] He also added that the sequel would introduce new characters as well.
In an interview with Hollywood Reporter, del Toro stated that the sequel would be unlike the first and would avoid repeating any elements from the first film. “We have plans that are pretty bold and pretty crazy,” he said. “We would not be repeating anything from the first one. We would go to completely fresh territory.” del Toro revealed in Long Beach, California Q&A, that he'd be interested in bringing focus to the idea of humans “drifting” Kaiju.
- "We're writing... and the main idea that we're bouncing off is the fact that Newt drifted with a Kaiju brain and all Kaiju brains were connected..."
- —del Toro
Another idea presented by del Toro was the focus on the Precursors and the Anteverse and how they could use the information provided by Newton Geiszler against mankind. “They have a hive mentality, meaning that if you ‘drift’ with a Kaiju brain, you are drifting with every Kaiju alive. Depending on the duration of the drift the information might be complete or incomplete, but the Kaiju know everything the human drifts with them knows. That’s as much as I can tell you without spoiling the sequel.”
The sequel may also see the return of Gipsy Danger and a Kaiju/Jaeger hybrid; "We will have Gipsy 2.0 for sure. Second thing is you're gonna see a merging of Kaiju and Jaeger. And that is quite special." Actress Rinko Kikuchi hinted the idea of Idris Elba's return to sequel during a press event in San Francisco.
While the script, currently being written by Zak Penn and del Toro, has not been bought for production by Legendary Pictures, del Toro says that he and Penn are developing the script with the hope that it will be made. “I don’t have the money, but I’m proceeding like it is happening,” he said. del Toro also stated that characters Raleigh Becket and Mako Mori would return and that the story would follow the events after Pacific Rim.
- "Some people were wondering if we were going to do the prequel. I was never interested in doing that first wave of invasion,” del Toro said. “I’m going for very new, very crazy ideas on the second one, which are very different from the first one — but you will get really great spectacle."
- —Guillermo del Toro
- ↑ del Toro: ...From now until April 2017, we're going to develop a new animated series for Pacific Rim, continue the comic book series that started with Year Zero, and most importantly, creating a sequel for the film. I'm working on this with Zak Penn and Travis Beacham. And we are all very happy to be bringing you more Kaijus more Jaegers, kicking each others butts."
- ↑ del Toro: "I start designing in six weeks. It takes me nine months to design a movie like that. People see the movie, and they have to see that we designed everything in the movie, from ID cards or patches, pamphlets, posters, signs, sets. I start with a core team for about six months designing the jaegers and the kaiju, you know, so we know how many kaiju, how many jaegers. We are creating some new jaegers and a lot of new kaiju. We start [designing the production] in August."
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 “Pacific Rim 2” Will Storm Into Theaters On April 7, 2017
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Legendary Pictures Sequel Confirmation
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Guillermo del Toro - Special Message about Pacific Rim
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Guillermo del Toro talks 'Pacific Rim' sequel ideas
- ↑ @TravisBeacham, July 22, 2013
- ↑ Legendary’s Thomas Tull Offers Trick ‘r Treat 2, Pacific Rim 2 Updates
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Guillermo del Toro Says “Pacific Rim 2” Script Is In The Works
- ↑ Fox cancels sexy Egypt fantasy 'Hieroglyph' before premiere
- ↑ pacificrimmovie: Pacific Rim Guillermo del Toro - Special Message
- ↑ LEGENDARY • Guillermo del Toro, director of Pacific Rim and...
- ↑ @THR June 26, 2014
- ↑ @burngorman June 26, 2014
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Guillermo Del Toro on ‘Pacific Rim 2,’ ‘At the Mountains of Madness’ and More
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 14.3 ‘Pacific Rim 2′: What Should We Expect From the Sequel?
- ↑ del Toro reveals Pacific Rim sequel details
- ↑ Pacific Rim Sequel to focus on 'Drifting' with the Kaiju?
- ↑ Guillermo Del Toro On What You Can And Can’t Expect From The Pacific Rim DVD, Blu-Ray And Sequel
- ↑ 'Pacific Rim 2'? Director Already Has 'A Couple Of Things' In Mind