|Pentecost: I need more than a prediction, Ranger.|
|Pacific Rim sequel contains material that's yet to be released or pending release. As such, some of the information might be inaccurate or likely to change. Please remember to add citations of information provided in the article before editing this page. Fan speculation will be deleted.|
The Pacific Rim sequel is a potential sequel to Pacific Rim.
May 20, 2013, Entertainment Weekly announced that the Pacific Rim was set for a sequel prior to the film's release July 12, 2013. Legendary Pictures has announced that the studio has already hired Travis Beacham to write the script for the sequel to Pacific Rim, a movie based on Beacham’s original story and script.
- "After the first screening, Legendary Entertainment CEO Thomas Tull immediately told del Toro to start writing a follow-up. “He said, ‘Do you think you can come up with a great idea?’ ” del Toro remembers. “I said, ‘F—, yeah!’ ! Because on the way to the finished screenplay, there were entire angles and ideas that we chopped off because they were too much.”"
- —Thomas Tull
Pacific Rim director Guillermo del Toro will also help write the sequel, but it’s yet to be determined if he’ll direct the sequel. Travis Beacham cites that he was given the go-head to write a sequel "a while ago" but has recieved no word that the production will be greenlit.
In an interview with ShockTillYouDrop.com, Thomas Tull confirmed that del Toro and Legendary Pictures are still open to the idea of developing a sequel for Pacific Rim.
In an interview with Hollywood Reporter, del Toro stated that the sequel would be unlike the first and would avoid repeating any elements from the first film. “We have plans that are pretty bold and pretty crazy,” he said. “We would not be repeating anything from the first one. We would go to completely fresh territory.” del Toro revealed in Long Beach, California Q&A, that he'd be interested in bringing focus to the idea of humans “drifting” Kaiju.
- "We're writing... and the main idea that we're bouncing off is the fact that Newt drifted with a Kaiju brain and all Kaiju brains were connected..."
- —del Toro
Another idea presented by del Toro is a focus on the Precursors and the Anteverse and how they could use the information provided by Newton Geiszler against them; “They have a hive mentality, meaning that if you ‘drift’ with a Kaiju brain, you are drifting with every Kaiju alive. Depending on the duration of the drift the information might be complete or incomplete, but the Kaiju know everything the human drifts with them knows. That’s as much as I can tell you without spoiling the sequel.”
The sequel may also see the return of Gipsy Danger and a Kaiju/Jaeger hybrid; "We will have Gipsy 2.0 for sure. Second thing is you're gonna see a merging of Kaiju and Jaeger. And that is quite special." Actress Rinko Kikuchi hinted the idea of Idris Elba's return to sequel during a press event in San Francisco.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Guillermo del Toro talks 'Pacific Rim' sequel ideas
- ↑ @TravisBeacham, July 22, 2013
- ↑ Legendary’s Thomas Tull Offers Trick ‘r Treat 2, Pacific Rim 2 Updates
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 ‘Pacific Rim 2′: What Should We Expect From the Sequel?
- ↑ 
- ↑ Pacific Rim Sequel to focus on 'Drifting' with the Kaiju?
- ↑ Guillermo Del Toro On What You Can And Can’t Expect From The Pacific Rim DVD, Blu-Ray And Sequel
- ↑ 'Pacific Rim 2'? Director Already Has 'A Couple Of Things' In Mind