|Pentecost: I need more than a prediction, Ranger.|
|Pacific Rim sequel contains material that's yet to be released or pending release. As such, some of the information might be inaccurate or likely to change. Please remember to add citations of information provided in the article before editing this page. Fan speculation will be deleted.|
|Pacific Rim sequel|
|Director||Guillermo del Toro|
|Writer||Guillermo del Toro|
|Release date||August 4, 2017|
|Previous film||Pacific Rim|
"Pacific Rim 2" is an upcoming sequel to the 2013 science-fiction film, Pacific Rim directed by Guillermo del Toro. Presently in pre-production, Pacific Rim 2 was originally slated to be released April 7, 2017 before being pushed back by its distributor, Universal Pictures, to August 4, 2017. The Pacific Rim sequel will be written by Guillermo del Toro, Zak Penn and Travis Beacham.
- To be Added
May 20, 2013, Entertainment Weekly announced that the Pacific Rim was set for a sequel prior to the film's release July 12, 2013. Legendary Pictures has announced that the studio hired Travis Beacham to write the script for the sequel.
- "After the first screening, Legendary Entertainment CEO Thomas Tull immediately told del Toro to start writing a follow-up. “He said, ‘Do you think you can come up with a great idea?’ ” del Toro remembers. “I said, ‘F—, yeah!’! Because on the way to the finished screenplay, there were entire angles and ideas that we chopped off because they were too much.”"
- —Thomas Tull
Director Guillermo del Toro would also help write the sequel, but it had yet to be determined if he would direct the sequel. Travis Beacham stated that he was given the go-head to write a sequel "a while ago" but had received no word that the production would be greenlit. In an interview with ShockTillYouDrop.com, Thomas Tull confirmed that del Toro and Legendary Pictures were still open to the idea of developing a sequel for Pacific Rim.
During the promotion of The Strain at the Austin Television Festival, del Toro announced that screenwriter Zak Penn (X Men: The Last Stand and Incredible Hulk) was working with him to develop the script for the sequel. At the time of the announcement, Travis Beacham was involved with the FOX television series, Hieroglyph, which was later cancelled before its premiere in the fall.
June 26, 2014, Guillermo del Toro announced on Legendary's YouTube channel that, "Pacific Rim 2" was planned for a April 2017 release. In conjunction with writing the script with Zak Penn, he added that Travis Beacham would return as a writer. As a means to promote the pending film, an animated series and additional comic book similar to that of Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero were also greenlit for production.[note 1]
In an official statement with BuzzFeed.com, del Toro stated, "The characters I love will return. Raleigh, Mako, Newt, Gottlieb and who knows, maybe even Hannibal Chau – but we are taking them into a fresh territory that will display amazing sights and battles. The first film set the stage and now we’re ready to have a blast."
Following his announcement on YouTube, Legendary Pictures announced the film's release date on their official twitter and tumblr pages for both their company and Pacific Rim. Actor Burn Gorman followed suit, retweeting the news from the Hollywood Reporter with the response, "by Jove".
In an interview with the Wall Street Journal, when asked about when production would officially begin for the sequel, del Toro stated that design production for the film would start in August of 2014.[note 2] Scouting for locations for the film is expected to take place July 2015 and principal photography November of the same year. del Toro expects to begin advertising the sequel early 2017.
April 23, 2015, following the announcement of the eighth The Fast and The Furious sequel and the upcoming sequels to Fifty Shades of Grey, Universal Pictures released a list of films whose original release dates were changed to accommodate the release of the aforementioned franchise sequels. The Pacific Rim sequel was officially moved from a April to a August 2017 release.[note 3]
July 2013, in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, del Toro stated that the sequel would be unlike the first and would avoid repeating any elements from the first film. “We have plans that are pretty bold and pretty crazy,” he said. “We would not be repeating anything from the first one. We would go to completely fresh territory.” del Toro revealed in Long Beach, California Q&A, that he'd be interested in bringing focus to the idea of humans “drifting” Kaiju. "We're writing... and the main idea that we're bouncing off is the fact that Newt drifted with a Kaiju brain and all Kaiju brains were connected".
Another idea presented by del Toro was the focus on the Precursors and the Anteverse and how they could use the information provided by Newton Geiszler against mankind. “They have a hive mentality, meaning that if you ‘drift’ with a Kaiju brain, you are drifting with every Kaiju alive. Depending on the duration of the drift the information might be complete or incomplete, but the Kaiju know everything the human drifts with them knows. That’s as much as I can tell you without spoiling the sequel.”
The sequel would also see the possible return of Gipsy Danger and a Kaiju/Jaeger hybrid; "We will have Gipsy 2.0 for sure. Second thing is you're gonna see a merging of Kaiju and Jaeger. And that is quite special." Actress Rinko Kikuchi hinted the idea of Idris Elba's return to sequel during a press event in San Francisco.
Prior to June 26 announcement, del Toro announced that the script, was in process of being written by himself and Zak Penn, but had not been bought for production by Legendary Pictures. “I don’t have the money, but I’m proceeding like it is happening,” he said. del Toro also stated that characters Raleigh Becket and Mako Mori would return and that the story would follow the events after Pacific Rim. He made clear that he was not interested directing a prequel centralized on the "first wave of the invasion", and was focused on introducing "very crazy ideas for the second one".
During the 2014 San Diego Comic-Con, when asked whether or not he would be filming in Toronto, del Toro stated that he would be writing the sequel's story to be told on a global scale. "[...]it’s all over the world this time. I want it to be different enough to the first one that you don’t feel you’re seeing the same movie." The film's action sequences will focus on both day and nighttime battles, as action would be orchestrated differently from the previous film.
The journey of Raleigh Becket would be "completely different", as he came full circle with the loss his brother, Yancy Becket, after rescuing his new partner, Mako, at the end of Pacific Rim. del Toro reconfirmed that the sequel would expand on the mythology of the Precursors and the Anteverse and the creation of a "Gipsy Danger 2.0". He also added that the sequel would introduce new characters as well. In another interview with collider.com, del Toro revealed that the setting of the movie would be set "a few years after the first one" and would see the world dealing with a Kaiju free world and how it dealt with the fate of the remaining Jaeger technology.[note 4]
- When asked whether or not he would return for the Pacific Rim sequel during a AMA on Reddit, Idris Elba was unsure considering "[his] character died in the first one".
- During an interview promoting Jorge Gutierrez's The Book of Life, Guillermo del Toro suggested that the end of the second film could lead to a third film.[note 5]
- Along with Charlie Hunnam, Burn Gornman and Charlie Day are set reprise their roles as Newton Geiszler and Hermann Gottlieb with the possibility of more screentime.
- In an interview with SuperHeroHype.com, Rinko Kikuchi admitted that she was uncertain whether or not she would be asked to return for the sequel.
- During an appearance at the 2015 International Film Festival in Guadalajara, Guillermo del Toro stated that he would make an effort to put more Mexican elements in his films. With regard to the Pacific Rim sequel, he stated he would add a Jaeger named "Black Maria".[note 6]
- On his official tumblr page, when asked, Travis Beacham confessed he was "not busy with Pacific Rim 2", but would return to work on the production if asked.[note 7]
- ↑ del Toro: ...From now until April 2017, we're going to develop a new animated series for Pacific Rim, continue the comic book series that started with Year Zero, and most importantly, creating a sequel for the film. I'm working on this with Zak Penn and Travis Beacham. And we are all very happy to be bringing you more Kaijus more Jaegers, kicking each others butts."
- ↑ del Toro: "I start designing in six weeks. It takes me nine months to design a movie like that. People see the movie, and they have to see that we designed everything in the movie, from ID cards or patches, pamphlets, posters, signs, sets. I start with a core team for about six months designing the jaegers and the kaiju, you know, so we know how many kaiju, how many jaegers. We are creating some new jaegers and a lot of new kaiju. We start [designing the production] in August."
- ↑ @Legendary: "PACIFIC RIM 2, the follow-up to the epic action-adventure Guillermo del Toro created, will be released on Friday, August 4, 2017 #Summer2017"
- ↑ del Toro: “It’s a few years after the first one. It’s not an immediate follow-up. It is the world having been freed of Kaiju, what happens to the world after – what happens to the Jaeger technology once the Kaiju are not a threat. It’s quite a jump.”
- ↑ del Toro: "Some of your favorite characters come back, some others don't because we have decided that we're going to shoot ambitiously and say 'Let's hope we have three movies,' So some characters come in at the end of the second, hoping that it will ramp up on the third one."
- ↑ "Resaltó su esfuerzo por meter cuantas cosas mexicanas puede en sus filmes, su idea de incluir a un Jaeger mexicano llamado Black Maria en Pacific Rim 2, el episodio donde un luchador, encarnado por Joaquín Cosío, hace acto de presencia en The Strain y la inclusión de gente mexicana en sus proyectos mas recientes."
- ↑ Beacham: "..As of right this second, I’m not busy with Pacific Rim 2. I did some work on it and I’ll do more if they ask, but it’s not currently on my plate. Which sounds weird, I know, but it’s totally normal. That’s just how features work. Writers come and go as needed. A film project doesn’t cast as long of a shadow on a writer’s calendar as a tv idea. On a feature, you do your thing and you’re kinda done before things get serious. As opposed to a tv project, which might drag its feet through development like anything else, but can’t break into a sprint towards production without inevitably taking you with"
- ↑ Pacific Rim 2 Update: Charlie Hunnam Reprising His Role as Raleigh, Guillermo del Toro Reveals Favorite Character
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Guillermo Del Toro Reveals Details About Pacific Rim 2 - Comic Con 2014
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Guillermo del Toro Says PACIFIC RIM 2 Begins a Few Years After PACIFIC RIM in a Kaiju-Free World; Charlie Day and Burn Gorman to Return
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 WARCRAFT and PACIFIC RIM 2 Pushed to Summer; THE MUMMY Reboot Delayed
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 Universal Pushes ‘Warcraft’ and ‘Pacific Rim 2′ Back Into Summer Season
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 @Legendary - April 23, 2015
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Legendary Pictures Sequel Confirmation
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 “Pacific Rim 2” Will Storm Into Theaters On April 7, 2017
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 Guillermo del Toro - Special Message about Pacific Rim
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 Guillermo del Toro talks 'Pacific Rim' sequel ideas
- ↑ @TravisBeacham, July 22, 2013
- ↑ Legendary’s Thomas Tull Offers Trick ‘r Treat 2, Pacific Rim 2 Updates
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 Guillermo del Toro Says “Pacific Rim 2” Script Is In The Works
- ↑ Fox cancels sexy Egypt fantasy 'Hieroglyph' before premiere
- ↑ pacificrimmovie: Pacific Rim Guillermo del Toro - Special Message
- ↑ LEGENDARY • Guillermo del Toro, director of Pacific Rim and...
- ↑ @THR June 26, 2014
- ↑ @burngorman June 26, 2014
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 Guillermo Del Toro on ‘Pacific Rim 2,’ ‘At the Mountains of Madness’ and More
- ↑ 20.0 20.1 20.2 20.3 20.4 Comic-Con: Guillermo del Toro talks ‘Crimson Peak,’ ‘Pacific Rim 2′
- ↑ ‘Furious 8′ to Debut April 14, 2017 - Variety.com
- ↑ 22.0 22.1 22.2 22.3 ‘Pacific Rim 2′: What Should We Expect From the Sequel?
- ↑ del Toro reveals Pacific Rim sequel details
- ↑ Pacific Rim Sequel to focus on 'Drifting' with the Kaiju?
- ↑ Guillermo Del Toro On What You Can And Can’t Expect From The Pacific Rim DVD, Blu-Ray And Sequel
- ↑ 'Pacific Rim 2'? Director Already Has 'A Couple Of Things' In Mind
- ↑ I am Idris Elba, AMA!
- ↑ 'Pacific Rim 2' And 'Prometheus 2' News And Rumors: Idris Elba Talks Returning For Sequels And Possible Prequels
- ↑ Guillermo Del Toro Planning for PACIFIC RIM 3; Aiming to Begin Production on PACIFIC RIM 2 in Late 2015
- ↑ Pacific Rim 2 Will Lead Right Into Pacific Rim 3
- ↑ Exclusive: Rinko Kikuchi Talks Pacific Rim 2 and Star Wars: Episode VIII
- ↑ FICG 2015: Guillermo del Toro presente en el Festival Internacional de Cine en Guadalajara
- ↑ #FICG30: ¿Veremos un Jaeger mexicano en Titanes del Pacífico 2? Guillermo del Toro responde
- ↑ Travis Beacham: What are you working on right now? - March 30, 2015